Friday, November 26, 2010

I Fail & Fucked for Life Reviewed in Profane Existence Issue #60

I FAILhighways… CD

Straight outta Cincinnati, OH comes I FAIL, a three-piece hardcore group with a smattering of 90’s screamo (sorry to use the term which now has negative connotations, but it’s appropriate in this context) breakdowns and quiet part with talking vocals / loud part with yelling dynamics. Those familiar with the early Ebullition catalog, or fans of French screamo groups like FINGERPRINT or ANOMIE will probably enjoy this very much. There’s also an undeniable FUGAZI influence in the bass riffs and some of the vocal stylings, particularly in the track “The Giraffed.” While some of the more “singy” background vocals became a bit much, I liked the dynamics and production quality of this recording a great deal. It’s nice to hear a band not afraid to click off the distortion for a few measures only to kick it back in at breakneck speed and with much screamy fanfare. Minimal packaging on the enveloped CD with a color lyric insert, this release is available in cassette and 10” format as well. Five tracks left me curious and I’d be interested to see what a full-length from this group sounds like. (Rob Hanna)

Sacred Plague Records / 7746 Whitehall Cir E / West Chester, OH 45069



FUCKED FOR LIFEEat Shit or Die CD

From the burning hellfire pits of Cincinnati, OH descends the beast known as FUCKED FOR LIFE on this 8-track CD. While the CRASS typeface threw me off at first, I was expecting some fairly PC crustcore, and was surprised to hear some fairly raging d-beat punk blasting out of my speakers. I’m not sure what “Eat Shit OR Die” means, usually the two are coupled together but I suppose this is the age of options, and I appreciate that. The first four tracks are unreleased material while the latter were put out as a demo. Apparently this group is now defunct which is unfortunate because this is actually really fun to drink to, the choruses of these songs are kind of corny sing-a-longs — “All we drink is whiskey and beer/All we know is distortion and death,” but it’s so well put together that it harkens to groups like UNCURBED or TOLSHOCK. This is straight up party punk, and I’m totally into it. (Rob Hanna)

Sacred Plague Records / 7746 Whitehall Cir E / West Chester, OH 45069

No comments:

Post a Comment